Sunday, March 15, 2015

Favorite Sport?



Sports

Sports. They're pretty popular. Almost everyone has a favorite sport, whether they play it actively, enjoy playing the game when they can, or simply enjoy watching it. So, what's my favorite? First off, I'd kind of like to redefine sports.
What a lot of us think of when we think of sports is getting out on a field, being a jock, becoming a super-star, being rich and famous, and crazed dudes who have to catch every game and constantly become obsessed with this world of the rich and famous. But when I think of sports, I simply think of things that are physical and require practice and skill, not something that makes people rich and famous and is almost impossible to achieve without being a jerk (which I find as popular opinion). And personally, I'm not a big sports fan at all. But, there are still some sports that I find fascinating, so I decided, for the first time in my entire life as a writer, I would write something about sports. So here we go with my top five sports list.

1. Fencing

This is defiantly not the most popular sport. In fact, you may not even heard of it. Basically, you are fighting one-on-one with swords against and opponent. No, it isn't medieval dueling, mind you. You use thin swords to tap an opponent on chest/stomach (or other qualifying area) to score a point. Its actually really strategic and fun. I also prefer a one on one style instead of team sports, like Smash Bros.  I used to really enjoy this when I was six (explaining my pin name 'Fencer6') and have always found it fun just to work at and improve (although it was too difficult at such a young age [I was one of the youngest, if not the youngest in the studio) so I eventually dropped it. Still though, it remains one of my favorites.

2. Fútbol

What is this, you ask. No, it isn't football, as so many Americans call it. This is the true fútbol! Every other country calls it fútbol, and yet we Americans call it 'soccer' and gave the name of football to, what other nations refer to ask, American football. They are nothing alike! Football hardly even uses your foot, and the shape of the 'football' isn't even a ball! As my friend once said, it should be called 'handegg'. All name rants aside, this is a very interesting and fun sport, that, while it isn't the most popular in America, is a sport greatly loved internationally. It is a sport that requires great training and talent, and is very thrilling to both watch and play. I personally love playing defense, trying to keep my opponents from crossing to our side. This game has a great format and game style, and I can see why it is so loved.


3. Basketball

Finally, a sport that is named appropriately. Indeed, this sport uses both baskets and balls. In my city, the college basketball is everything. It's probably our only good sports team in the state. So, naturally, this is a big part of sports in our city. We all love watching our basketball, and oftentimes kids on my street will play, and I find it pretty fun. So yeah, that's why it's in my top five.

  

4. Golf

Yeah, I know this is a weird one for a minor. But, my friend greatly enjoys this game and has taken me golfing before, and I like it a fair amount. It takes precision, strategy, and lots of time in the sun on the green hitting golf balls with a club. Pretty fun actually, seeing the ball flying through the air and trying to fine-tune your swing, all while being able to enjoy it with my friend. This is why it made my #4.

5. Baseball

At this point, the list is getting pretty exhaustive. Besides a year or two playing tee-ball, I've never really played baseball. But, I love going to the games. Frankly though, I hardly do. I also scarcely watch it on TV, as I find this boring and on like the real 'take-me-down-to-the-ball-game' feeling in a real stadium. I just like that classic baseball feeling. I also like learning about the baseball legends and their records, as well as the numerous baseball cards that are out there. Again, I hardly know any of this or own cards, but I still like how the trading cards and records have made this a long-loved, interesting game. I also like the feeling of aiming the bat and trying to run from base to base, as I have always loved sports like kickball. It's kind of hard to explain, but I just love the game of kick ball. 


Welp, there you have it! My favorite sports, all lined up! I'm not at all the sportiest person, nor the best at explaining them, but I figured it's high time I make a sports post. Anyhow, thanks for reading, and I hope you stay tuned!
-Fencer6



 

No comments:

Post a Comment